The stigma around self-care for men in Malaysia is still present, but there is a growing trend of men embracing skincare. This is because men are starting to realize that skincare is not just a “feminine” pursuit, but it is also important for their overall health and well-being.
From face masks to beard oil, hair loss treatments to acne-care serums, gentlemen are finally prioritizing their skincare and giving themselves the attention they deserve.
We are thrilled to support beauty brands in expanding the accessibility of skincare products specifically designed for men, championing this cultural shift and men’s well-being as a whole.
Men’s skincare products are becoming increasingly popular, as men are starting to realize the importance of taking care of their skin.
In this article, we will explore the reasons behind the stigma around men’s skincare in Malaysia and how the trend of skincare among Malaysian men is growing.
We will also delve into the expanding world of top men’s skincare products and their increasing role in skincare routines.
Reasons behind the Stigma Around Self-Care and Skin Care Among Men
Skincare routine, alongside grooming, is often associated with being “feminine”. This mindset transcends beyond Malaysia, and it can have a negative impact on men’s health and well-being.
The stigma around men’s skincare can lead to men feeling ashamed or embarrassed to take care of their skin, which can ultimately lead to skin problems and other health issues.
Historically, men were expected to be tough, viewing “skincare” and taking care of one’s appearance as unnecessary beyond the realm of personal hygiene upkeep.
However, despite its growing prevalence, there is still a significant stigma surrounding the idea of men’s skincare.
Yes, there are a few reasons behind this skincare stigma, and we are here to break it down.
Societal Norms & Gender Expectations
Not relying on others for help, being self-sufficient, and staying tough, are just a few expectations and norms dictated in many societies.
Being surrounded by this toxic masculinity as such will often lead to gentlemen around us walking away from prioritizing their own well-being. Consequently, men, at times, will find it challenging to be on the lookout for skincare or grooming items, even when they are needed at times.
However, as societies beyond Malaysia are becoming more aware of the importance of self-care and mental health as a fundamental aspect of overall well-being, more and more men are starting to embrace the benefits of taking care of themselves.
This is evident in the increasing popularity of men’s skincare products, the growing number of men’s grooming salons and spas, and the increasing number of men who are talking about self-care and mental health on social media.
Whether it’s through personal care or other self-care regimes, gentlemen are getting into practices like grooming as a way to feel confident during the day and relax during the night.
The Fear of Judgement & Others’ Opinions
Most men who wish to take more time to practice self-care with the help of skincare or personal care products may fear being judged by people around them for doing so.
One of the major obstacles to the rising trend of self-care for men in Malaysia is that they are worried that their actions may make them appear vulnerable.
On top of that, men who have just started out skincare routine may feel uncertain or insecure about their product choices, as there are not as many resources to seek out as compared to self-care products made for women.
Nevertheless, rather than recognizing taking care of your skin and body as a sign of weakness, one should embrace self-care as a fundamental aspect of overall health and wellness.
It is time for gentlemen to break free from traditional notions of masculinity and choose to do what makes them feel and look their best.
The Lack of Men’s Self-care Products Availability
In reality, men often face challenges in accessing skincare and other self care products tailored to their needs. Unlike their female counterparts, men have limited options available to them in the market.
This lack of access may contribute to a sense of exclusion, further reinforcing the fact men who engage in self-care practices is not a norm. Be it oily skin, sensitive skin, or any other skin type, the product range is not as varied to target specific skin concerns.
Other factors may include geographic location with a typical mindset of self-care = feminine pursuit, or financial constraints that limit men’s ability to access these unconventional self-care markets.
As an OEM skincare and personal care solution provider that believes in “Beauty for All”, it is vital for us to bridge the gap between gentlemen and their skincare routine and self-care products.
Reach out to us, and let’s discuss how we can create a more inclusive world where self-care is for all genders.
Challenging the Status Quo: The Emergence of Men’s Self-Care
On the bright side, over the past few years, there has been a shift in attitudes towards skincare, personal care, or self-care of any kind among men.
Alongside the tremendous growth of the global beauty industry, slowly but surely, men are starting to take an active interest in self-care and their overall wellness, morning and night.
So, what are the reasons behind the growing interest and increasing demand for men’s skincare products or personal care items?
Beauty Brands Bridge the Gender Gap with Gender-neutral Products
Thanks to skincare or beauty brands that practice inclusivity as a whole, they are coming out with universal products made for all genders. As the market continues to shift towards this direction, so too do societies’ expectations towards men’s self-care practices.
Beauty brands like so have changed the narrative around skincare and grooming, positioning these products as an act of self-care, rather than mere vanity.
Not only does it blur the line between self-care products for different genders, but the rise of gender-neutral items also leads to the gradual de-stigmatization of self-care among men.
In addition, men will feel more comfortable discussing self-care practices without feeling judged alongside these inclusive products. These gentle-neutral products have indeed opened up new avenues for self-expression without the constraints of traditional gender boundaries.
Social Media Platforms Normalize Self-care Practices among Men
The growth of online communities that appreciate men’s self-care on social media platforms brings a safe space for gentlemen to learn whilst sharing tips and product recommendations.
Men can now access a wealth of information that supports their skincare and grooming journey, which was then unconventional.
Social media platforms have truly helped normalize self-care practices among men and demonstrate that self-care is for everyone, rather than an occasional indulgence among women.
Emerging Trends in Men’s Skincare and Personal Care Market
The growing demand and acceptance for men’s skincare and personal care products, including specific items for different skin types such as face masks for oily skin, anti-aging solutions for delicate skin, moisturizers for dry skin, and cleansers for acne-prone skin, are driving innovation in the industry.
Gentlemen are now actively seeking the best beauty products to enhance their diverse skincare routines, anticipating a greater selection from beauty brands.
- Skincare products for men are increasingly being made with active ingredients and natural elements like aloe vera, catering to the diverse skin care routines of men, even those with sensitive skin. The market also offers a variety of oil-free products, such as facial cleanser or clay mask that clean skin, ensuring skin balanced by managing excess oil.
- Anti-aging skin care products with effective sun protection or SPF are also on the rise. These products, often enriched with hyaluronic acid, combat signs of aging while protecting the skin from sun damage or skin cancer, emphasizing the importance of regular sunscreen wear. It is to note that night creams made for anti aging are gaining traction too.
- The growing popularity of facial cleanser or clay mask targeting oily skin is mainly due to fellow gentlemen yearning for self-care products that make skin feeling hydrated, whilst preventing oil buildup from men’s skin.
- The trend of multi-purpose or hybrid products, such as a moisturizer with SPF or a cleanser and exfoliator in one, is offering convenience in men’s self-care routines. These products are perfect for regular exfoliation, helping to remove dead skin cells and unclog pores.
- The skincare market is expanding to include gender-neutral products that go beyond skincare to include hair care, fragrance, and more. These are suitable for all skin types, allowing everyone to benefit from quality skin care products.
- Advancements in self-care tools and technology, such as LED light therapy devices, are gaining popularity. These tools work to rejuvenate skin cells, improving overall skin feeling and leaving it feeling hydrated, morning and night.
- The market for facial hair grooming products, including shaving cream and beard oils, balms, and grooming kits, continues to grow. These products cater to the specific needs of men’s skin, aligning with one’s daily routine, and providing their skin with the much needed moisture.
- Wellness-oriented self-care products like aromatherapy oils promoting stress relief are also making headway, integrating skincare with overall wellbeing. These skin care products for men can help improve dark spots, dark circles, wrinkles, and other skincare concerns.
- Lastly, travel-friendly beauty products are in high demand. These ensure gentlemen can continue their skincare routines, such as cleansing with a face wash, undergoing deep clean with a chemical exfoliator, or applying night cream for anti aging purposes, even while on the go.
Above are the top trends in the skincare market, featuring products that cater to every man’s unique skincare needs and concerns. With the availability of these products, gentlemen can now confidently adopt a skincare routine that works best for them.
Self-care in Any Way, Shape, or Form Is Made for All
At Sky Resources, we are always on the path towards a more inclusive society, helping beauty, skin care, personal care brands alike to produce high-quality products made for all genders.
With the rise of the global beauty industry and rising awareness of mental wellness, men from all corners of the world are beginning to break down these gender barriers and take better care of themselves.
From natural and organic skincare products to body wash and hair shampoo for men, we are able to offer private label for men’s beauty solutions that cater to specific needs.
We want to be part of your journey to bring a positive impact in the lives of gentlemen worldwide with the help of our extensive self-care product range.
Contact us now and explore what SRG – a leading OEM skincare and personal care solution provider, has to offer for your product needs.
Together, let’s bring gentlemen in need with the best skincare for men’s products, be it wanting the products to be natural and fragrance free, or looking for the key ingredient like aloe vera, hyaluronic acid, salicylic acid, and more, we will be with you from the beginning until the final step of our high-quality skincare OEM.